Tuesday 22 July 2014

Day 52 - Tuesday, July 22 - The Red Shoe Pub


Today we say goodbye to Baddeck - awesome little town and great camp site.  


So we have had a bit of a time securing campsites on the Ceididh Trail - Mabou, Inverness, Port Hood.  So now I guess we have to start planning ahead, although I loved it when we had no plans and just flew by the seat of our pants.  So I called ahead to all the camp sites in Inverness County and all I could come up with was the Port Hood RV Co-op and only for one night.  But when we got here this morning we took a different, less desirable spot for two days so at least we will have time to do the trail.  We set up camp and relaxed until time to travel to Mabou.  

We are going to the Red Shoe Pub tonight.  This is owned by the Rankin Sisters.  They have dinner entertainment every night and apparently the food is great as well.  I brought a bottle of Red Shoe White Wine from the Red Shoe Winery in Kelowna to give to them.  I enjoy the Rankins and can hardly wait to see their digs.  


It looks pretty small, but we find a place to sit.  The musicians tonight are locals, Melody and David Cameron.  


They kept us all entertained all evening.  The food was excellent and the manager told us a bit of history about the building.  It used to be a car lot with the pub being the showroom and then it was a clothing store.  A couple of men from Europe bought it and wanted to have a pub - they called it the Red Shoe after a song they loved. It didn't work out for them, so it was vacant for a few years and that is when the Rankin Sisters bought it and wanted to run it, but that didn't work - not their cup of tea.  So they hired a manager and they visit from time to time when they are in town.  She said they treat everyone like family.  Dan took a picture if us behind the bar.  


The end of a good evening. 


We returned to camp and I looked out the window of the Moho and saw the most beautiful red sun sliding into the horizon.  I ran outside to get a picture but we were too far away and too many objects in my line of sight.  The sky then turned into beautiful pink streaks with a little fireball in the middle. And then it was over - it reminded me of the sunsets in Maui!  Tomorrow night, if the sky is clear,  I hope to get myself down to the beach to watch the sunset, maybe then I will be able to get a picture.  Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment