Saturday 26 July 2014

Day 56 - Saturday, July 26 - Back Road Adventures

Well today is Saturday and it is Barb V's birthday and of course her twins' too!  I hope she gets out fishing today.  And we know she is going to have Chineses for dinner - it's a tradition! 

This morning after breaky we are going back to New Glasgow!  Why?  Well funny story - Dan went into Walmart yesterday morning before we left New Glasgow for a pair of work gloves and came out with gloves and a pair of leather slip on sandals.  He never buys himself anything so I was a bit shocked but happy he found a pair of slip ons.  So off to Pictou we go and before we go downtown I cut off the tags on his new shoes do he can wear them.  As we are walking around Pictou he says his feet are hurting and I look down and say well honey that one sandal looks like It doesn't fit right.  He says ya I know but I have been trying to stretch it.  Omg his one foot is rubbed raw and very red on the top.  I said did you try them both on before you bought them?  He says no the one fit so that was good enough for me.  Hmmm, I said did you the check the sizes?  No he said.  Well when he checked he had one 10 and one 11!!! No wonder his foot was raw.  So that's my funny story for today, ha, ha!  We went back and Walmart happily exchanged them for him and they were thelast size 11 left.  Now he has two shoes the same size!!  And now we know the roads in New Glasgow so well we could tell you how to get just about anywhere.

Before we left Walmart I tried calling Vernon Ferguson's cousin Paul, it was about 9:30 am so not too early, but no one was home.  I left a message with my story and hope they call back and don't think I am a weirdo!  

So now Dan wants to take some back roads back to Pictou.  He loves to go off and find different routes.  It doesn't look like it will get us back to Pictou, but you never know.  So off we go and we are driving and driving - it is a nice drive.  The area is so rural and untouched and then all of a sudden a business pops out of nowhere.  Anyway we make it back onto our oringinal route and Dan remembers seeing a Flea Market at the Abercrombie Community Hall - we pay our 50 cents and in we go.  He told me I should just stay in the car, ha!  But I fooled him and went in anyway.  Well I found some very nice doilies and a couple of runners for my dresser - so I spent $5 and he found no treasures at all.  I'm glad I went in.  

Now we are going to go to the Hector Heritage Museum in Pictou.  But wait as we round the corner what do we se?  The Pictou Market is today - so in we go.  They have everything from original paintings by local artists to home canning and jewellry for sale.  

I found a winery just waiting to give us taste tests.  This winery is the Saint-Famille winery in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia and the wines are very good.  There is a blueberry wine that is scrumptious and a very good raspberry as well.  He made us a spritzer with the raspberry and sprite - that was very light and refreshing and tasted like fresh raberries. Mmm good! So we bought a few bottles and I paid with my m/card, but the fellow only punched in $8 and not the right amount so I told him and he was ever so grateful for my honesty.  Now laden with a few bottles of wine Dan ushers me out so I don't spend anymore money!  

I am still looking for someone who knows of John and Barbara McLean, but only one person is able to tell me that the restaurant across the street is the one he used to own.  So we decide it is lunch time so we will go over ask about the McLeans.   The owner is not there and the waitress only knows that this business used to be in Pictou Landing and was set up here a few years ago.  So no further ahead than I was yesterday.  We have lunch anyway and my phone rings, hmmm who could be phoning me? It was the winery - Dan had purchased two tickets for a draw to win 2 bottles of wine.  Well he won, so back to the market he goes to get his prize!  He's a lucky guy today.  And we have lots of wine - but I can't drink any for 10 days while I'm on penicillin! 

This is the one I think that John McLean owned, well the building anyway.  It is now called the Lobster Bar & Restaurant.


This is the one that is right on the water (Salt Water Cafe) that had pointed me to the Lobster Bar. 


Mystery is still not solved so we decide to go to the Hector Hertage Museum.  Yes another museum - Dan says when will it stop?


Dan is a little bigger than the Scot at the entrance.


This is the ship that brought the first 200 Scots over from Scotlad in 1773.  The ship was already 50 years old at the time.  It was a Dutch built ship primarily built for cargo, not people.  


It was a really tough trip - the ship was small and the voyage was 3 months long.  Crowded with lots of illness - but the Scots are a hardy bunch and they made it.  This started the Immigration into Nova Scotia.



This is what is was like in the hull of the ship for the immigrants. Rats lived among them during the voyage.  


This is the size of the ship's deck - very small.  The land was promised to the Scots to be abundant and a much better life that they had, being persecuted in Scotlad.  The bagpipes played as they boarded the ship full of promise.  But when they arrived they were shocked that the land was so forested and that they had to work so very hard to carve out a home and survival.  But they did it and that is why Pictou is called New Scotland! 


Awesome.  So now it is time to pick up a few things for dinner at Sobeys.  I am paying for my food and noticed the cashier had forgotten to charge me for two items - I said did you get these too?  He said no I forgot them!  Wow, twice in one day.  Too bad I didn't buy a lotto ticket.  

Anyway we are having salad and hopefully roasted hot dogs and marshmallow for dessert as long as the wind stays down and we can have a fire.  


We are still having a booming good time!  And gas went down to $1.34, yeah!  I also read on the Merritt News that the Grand Pub and Grill have permission to have families in.  Well in Nova Scotia families are in pubs everywhere we have gone - what a grand idea - keep the families together and sharing in the experience.  We did not find any unruly patrons or children in the pubs either!   Hmm, it's a good thing they got going on.  


No comments:

Post a Comment